Inventu Viewer+ Base Product and Components
(Version: 6.0.98 August 18, 2023)
Inventu Viewer Emulation Service
- VT220 / ASCII printing expanded to support non-PCL print jobs. The VT220 and other protocols will now identify when a printer datastream includes PCL so that the PCL-to-PDF print utility can be called only when PCL is present.
- If a text-only print job, a new Host setting Printer Lines Per Page has been added so that if a print job is missing form feeds the output will be properly paginated. Landscape mode is also automatically set if the first print line is longer than 80 columns.
- Added additional Event Log entries for Printing: “Folder monitor is active and waiting for a new print file.” As well as a number of new Error entries covering possible failure points when device printing is active.
- Internals improved to ensure session starts and stops not impacted by a hung session—in large server configurations with many public telecommunication connections this should improve performance and ensure throughput when some sessions are experiencing network issues.
- If a session is hung due to a protocol or communication issue, the supervisor thread will now terminate the thread while creating a mini-dump of the service to assist Inventu Technical Support in identifying the reason for the hang.
- TLS Host Connections now cleanup Context and Credential handles following the end of a session to ensure that the Context will not be lost should there be a long idle time for the server (for example a long weekend when no user sessions are started).
- Added additional session information for TLS decryption errors
- TLS Verify Server Certificate logic tweaked to support additional options
- Ensured unused buffers used in TLS decryption were fully initialized to NULL pointers and zero size (was zero size only)
- Added additional boundary checking on TLS buffers to ensure decryption does not exceed the size of the allocated buffer
- Additional cleanup added to end of a session to avoid small memory leak
- Added support in the SSPI.cfg file to control all initialization flags for a TLS session
- Cluster communication improved to better identify a mis-configured server in a cluster in the event logs
- Added clearer logging for Telnet handshake sequences that are not supported and including host name to better support multi-host configurations
- Startup integration with the FVLicense utility will now issue an event if there is a detected hardware change (past behavior was to invalidate the license).
FVTerm Web Terminal Emulator
- The keyboard keystroke settings now accepts text values along with the [tab] and [enter] keys to enable users to implement simple keystroking macros and map them to a key (like Alt-T for telephone number for example). The user mapping utility has been improved to support this feature. This can be done at the individual workstation as well as by administrators creating default keyboard mapping.
- User keystroke mapping tool has been revised to improve the display of keystrokes so that keys no longer wrap within the table cells, providing a cleaner UI experience while remapping keys.
- For ASCII emulations with Scrolling activated, the UI has been improved in a number of ways:
- Crosshair cursors now function properly when there is a scroll area active
- The scroll area can be cleared (Clear History button in Settings) without causing UI artifacts
- When using the Built-in Clipboard drawing/copy tool, accuracy of the selected rows and columns has been improved—prior releases in many cases did not allow marking to the bottom row for example, and if scrolling active, marking was not aligned to rows as when no scrolling active.
- The Built-in Clipboard drawing/copy tool now provides the ability to copy from scrolled content when connected to an ASCII host with scrolling active. This includes mixing content between the scrolled rows and the active terminal rows.
- Tweaks to the ASCII scrolling area to provide a cleaner active view following a large scroll.
- For AzureAD Security option, if the Claims Principal is requested as the User identification type, there is better support for cases where a user’s email has not been set (the AzureAD ID will be used instead).
- When the sessionkey was configured as a simple integer instead of the normal, recommended opaque, unique string, this caused an exception in the websocket handler while interpreting the session key. This error has been present for years. No one should configure the simple session key!
- Websocket handler fixes for rare issues related to websocket termination (which can happen due to multiple circumstances including many network exception types and sequences).
- AppError logging was occurring for a common issue where a Cookie is received for an unauthenticated request and the cookie has expired or is empty.
- The CloseBeacon used for catching users closing their browser to enable closing a session more reliably had potential impacts on performance, now fixed.
- Integrated with Emulation service to help track the start of an active session as an FVTerm session and when the connection is complete.
Profiles Mode Configuration
- Added a new Profile Advanced setting Printer Lines Per Page to support the new non-PCL Text printing for ASCII protocols. When Printer Lines Per Page is set, reports will paginate when the number of lines has been received when no Form Feed (FF) characters have been sent.
Inventu Viewer Administration Console
- Active Sessions now report web socket health in farthest column to the right (replaces “warnings” which were generally of limited value)
- Added new help for Service settings that had not been documented such as the PCL-to-PDF settings.
Inventu Viewer Diagnostics Dashboard
- Continued improvements and fixes
- Now has separate Start programs entry and a separate EXE to better facilitate execution without needing the Taskbar Icon active or accessible
- Added an IIS and WebSockets log analyzer which is still under development. Provides the ability to filter, summarize and report IIS logs and Websocket logs in order to locate response time and network issues. Future versions will include identification of users/IP addresses with the highest websocket error rates.
Inventu Viewer Recorder 2.0
- The Scrub/Redaction function in the Recorder (Search / Scrub Text From Recording) has been enhanced to include the matching .log trace file created at the same time as the .rec recording file. This enables the use of the recorder to document screen flows that are causing issues for the terminal emulation, then scrub any private data from the trace file so that Inventu Technical support can be provided the trace without concern for private/confidential data included in the recording/trace.
- When using the redaction tool Save/Restore, the Restore was not loading a saved redaction set correctly, so that the last row was not restored.
- Added new Boolean settings for the HostConnection object – fvTermConnected and fvTermStarted to enable tracking of whether an FVTerm session is actively connected to a specific session.
- Improved synchronization with the Service calling mechanism to ensure that the supervisor thread not be held due to an exception in the FVTerm process during a call.
Inventu Viewer Installer
- Tweaked the FVIISApi.exe to better detect the active FVTerm application folder in cases where it has been moved from the default location of c:\inetpub\wwwroot\FVTerm
- Diagnostic Dashboard now installed as separate executable with a start-programs link